Unfortunately snow stopped play for the Wilmslow 1/2 Marathon last Sunday, though I am sure there was some running up and down with the sledge!
It gave some more time for some Pilates though and maybe a treadmill run!
Fortunately with the change of the clocks spring has sprung a little this weekend so better chance to get out for that longer run!
Following on from the Gluts work for runners, here is some re-visited mobility and flexibility work to supplement your recovery.
Spinal Flexion: Bridge
- Lying on your back, knees bent feet hip distance apart.
- Tuck pelvis back, then push knees away as you peel up from the floor.
- Pause in shoulder bridge then slowly lower from upper back down through the spine to return to start position. Repeat up to 10 times.
- You could place an ova ball under your pelvis to increase flexion.
Spinal & Neural mobility: Modified Saw
- Start in Y sitting position (on a block if required).
- Maintaining length in spine rotate trunk, then reach opposite arm along the medial border of leg.
- Feel stretch through groin and spine. Pause then return to neutral, then repeat on the opposite side.
- Repeat alternating up to 5 times each way.
Hip & Neural mobility: One leg circle
- Laid on your back, place a theraband around one foot. Use hands to support leg into flexion, keeping knee as straight as hamstrings allow.
- Perform small circular movements 6 one way then reverse and 6 the opposite way.
- Repeating on the opposite leg.
Anterior Hip / Thigh mobility: Hip opening
- Kneeling with one foot forwards the other hip in slight extension.
- Posteriorly tilt pelvis and raise arm on the same side as the back leg, to feel lengthening through side and over hip. Hold for 20-30 seconds.
- Repeat 3 times each side.
Spinal rotation and hip mobility: Hip twist
- Laid on your back, knee folded. Cross right leg over left thigh.
- Rotate legs to left and turn head to right, pause for in breath then return to start position.
- Then change legs over and repeat to the right side.
- Repeat up to 5 times each way.
Posterior Hip/ thigh mobility: Pigeon stretch
Start in 4 point kneeling. Slide one leg forwards bringing foot through to the centre allowing hip to externally rotate, taking care no pain in the knee.
- Slide opposite leg back into extension and lower gently down to feel increased stretch through hi
ps. Hold for 20-30 seconds. Repeating 3 times each side.